Money Saving Tricks For Your Car
Itís the holiday season, and the demands on your wallet are probably higher than at any other time of the year. In the interest of having more change for gifts and less on your vehicle, here are some tips that can save you money without compromising the longevity of your car.
1. Regular fuel, please. It costs less per gallon, and todayís vehicles can run efficiently on them, even the ones that specify premium fuel only. Todayís engines have knock sensors, which automatically adjust the engineís timing before that telltale ďpingingĒ noise. The exception: a turbo or supercharged car that specifies super fuelÖ..follow your manual.
2. Oil Changes. Todayís cars donít need oil changes every 3,000 miles. You wonít even see quick oil change places promoting that idea anymore.
3. Local mechanic. Stay loyal to a local mechanic, especially when it comes to major repairs. There is no replacement for a first-name basis relationship with your mechanic. Besides the trust you place in him, you will save money.
4. Tires by the Fours. There are many warehouse stores locally where you can get tires at a good price, and no, you donít have to buy them by the dozen. The added advantage: they will mount them for you and you can take advantage of the warehouse clubís satisfaction guarantees, not to mention the tireís warranties.
5. Buying at a Dealership Doesnít Obligate You. Itís important to know that you donít have to have your car serviced at the dealership to protect your warranty. As long as you have your maintenance work done in a timely manner with quality parts, itís a matter of keeping your paperwork as proof. And federal law is on your side thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. You can also stay on top of any manufacturer recalls by visiting www.safercar.org, the government database
6. The Oil Light. This is one light you donít ignore Ė ever. If that light comes on, pull over as quickly and safely as possible and turn off your engine. You want to be sure itís not the oil-pressure light, because not reacting quickly can mean the complete destruction of your engine.
These are just a few tricks that can help save you money. So enjoy the holidays!